background

This is nothing special, well to you anyway. I'm not a scrapbook type, or a baby book writer, or even a picture printer. I'm terrible at recording memories. This blog is my attempt at holding on to some of my life as a Christian, a wife, and a homeschooling Mom of 5. I am a country girl that lived in a big city for 14 years, and moved to the Deep South for quiet, quaint, small town living.

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Ahhhh, I'm THAT word!

If you know me, you know I hate the word...... crafty. EW. I do art, not crafts. I don't mind the use of the word when you group functional art such as pottery, metal-smithing, and the like under the name of craft. That said, I despise raffia, popsicle sticks, pictures made with hand-prints and those cookie cutter projects for kids and grown ups.

Then comes life with pre-schoolers. Sunday school projects, pre-school projects and Moppets projects have eased me into the "I am glad the kids are learning fine motor skills like using scissors" frame of mind. Maybe a craft {shudder} or two {double shudder} will be ok. After all, I will teach them about REAL art because I am homeschooling. So HA world of crafts!

And.... then comes the reminder of my Mom saying I should paint bricks. Her love of Baltimore got her so excited about the idea to paint rowhomes on bricks. So, a year after she died, I did a few. It is really not that bad, even though it is too close to the line dividing art and craft. I still know that is takes skill to render an actual house on a brick, especially a custom replica of a real home.

And.... then comes the popularity of those darn baby sock bouquets. They are so easy to make, and add a lot to my baby shower gift (and poor wrapping skills). Plus, I like all the attention. Ladies love to ohhh and ahh over baby socks, so make them into little flowers and I am a rockstar. I just can't help myself.

So, today my little sock flowers were not sticking to the plastic stems. I had to pull out a brand-new, still in the box, hot glue gun! *gasp* I can't deny the word craft any longer. I feel like I surrendered to the enemy. I am trying to make the most of this downfall and also used it to fix Wedding day Ken's tie and a bow that had fallen off a headband. But I know I have crossed that line.

I think I need to get out my paints and make some real art. Someone help please!!


1 comment: