background

This is nothing special, well to you anyway. I'm not a scrapbook type, or a baby book writer, or even a picture printer. I'm terrible at recording memories. This blog is my attempt at holding on to some of my life as a Christian, a wife, and a homeschooling Mom of 5. I am a country girl that lived in a big city for 14 years, and moved to the Deep South for quiet, quaint, small town living.

Monday, July 20, 2009

Homeschool update

I'm spending some of my summer organizing our first year of homeschooling. I don't know how strict we will be to a schedule, so I'm trying to keep that in mind. After all, that is one of the lovelier parts of homeschooling!

I have a hanging folder bin system. I have folders for-
-Each week of work for the My Father's World curriculum (26 weeks after the initial 10 day startup unit) I'm collecting items as I see them for those weeks.
-Math (worksheets from her old school, and hooked on phonics {HOP} math packets)
-Reading (another HOP program and more worksheets from her teacher last year)
-A Bible folder to read and discuss lessons (we usually go over this after dinner with the family)
-Spanish (another HOP unit)
-Individual units I thought we would like, bird watching, telling time, origami....
-Some educational busy work, activity books for when she doesn't want to do the normal work
-Folders labeled for finished work in each category
-Important homeschool documents
- A folder to collect info and idea for next year

I also have magazine racks for her high five and big backyard magazines she wasn't too interested in last year, her beginner books to go with her HOP lessons, and various lesson/activity books to grab from.

There is a basket filled with flash cards, pretend money, pencil box and other basic materials.

Her butterfly cage and ant farm are set up, awaiting larva and ants to come in the mail. We have a portable dvd player that can play movies and audio for her lessons. I am thinking about getting a simple laptop- not to connect to the internet, but for all the computer lessons she has and educational games. That doesn't have to be immediate, but I don't think I want her on my computer with all her stuff. I'm selfish like that.

Oh, and how can I forget- I put up a dry erase board in my dining room! We are offical.

No comments:

Post a Comment